Asphalt shingle roofing is one of the most popular and affordable types of roofing installed today.
Currently available in many types, styles, and colors, asphalt shingle roofer services advise that it provides a reasonably long-lasting, durable, and cost-effective roof for most homes.
Learn the pros and cons of this material, then call an asphalt shingle roofer service to handle shingle installation, or to help with the easy maintenance requirements.
Why Is Asphalt Shingle Roofing So Popular?
Here are the main advantages of choosing an asphalt shingle roofer replacement over other types of roofing:
- Wide Variety of Products - Asphalt shingles are available today in multiple types offering many different styles, colors, and appearances that will compliment nearly any home architecture style. The variety of offerings, including faux slate and wood-look shingles, is one of the reasons why they have gained such popularity.
- Easy Installation - In comparison to other roofing systems, asphalt shingles are very easy and fast to install.
- Relatively Easy to Repair - Because each individual shingle is separately attached, repairing a few damaged ones or even a whole section of the roof is fairly easy.
- Low Maintenance - Asphalt shingle roofer maintenance involves little more than regular inspections, keeping the shingles clean, and providing adequate attic ventilation.
- Affordable and Cost-Effective - Considering the performance offered, especially from today’s premium shingles, an asphalt shingle roof is a cost-effective roofing solution for most homeowners that provides great appearance, good performance, and a reasonably long life for the money with proper asphalt shingle roofer maintenance.
Are There Any Negatives About Asphalt Shingle Roofing?
Along with these excellent positives, there are still a few negatives that homeowners should be aware of before investing in an asphalt shingle roofer replacement:
- Not As Durable - While asphalt shingles are durable to an extent, they are not as durable or long-lived as more resilient roofing like metal or tile. Shingle roofs typically last between 20 and 40 years depending on the product.
- Wind Damage - Although there are premium wind-rated shingles now available, asphalt shingles do experience wind damage more easily than other roofs.
- Algae and Mildew Growth - Without routine asphalt shingle roofer maintenance that includes cleaning, shingles in moister climates may experience algae and mildew growth that can expedite decomposition. In these climates, shingles should be periodically cleaned to remove that growth.
- Lower Energy Efficiency - Although asphalt shingle roofer services are now able to install shingles with improved R-ratings and higher reflectivity, they are overall not as energy efficient as metal or tile. Additional attic insulation may be required.
With so many options to choose from, homeowners interested in the important benefits offered by asphalt shingles should talk to an asphalt shingle roofer service to decide which is the best for their home.
The right asphalt shingle roofer replacement can be a great solution for homeowners looking for something stylish and uncomplicated, while also being affordable and low-maintenance.